Friday, July 16, 2010

My First Lesson

Good morning, or should I say, Buenos dias?

The Mango languages course is extremely addictive.  It sucks you in to the different lessons and makes it really easy to learn basic phrases and terms.  I just finished the first lesson in basic Spanish today, and I'm feeling pretty good.  With the basic lessons, you can learn how to make basic small talk with others.  I found it to be really quick to pick up on as well.

I would have finished sooner, but my wife is the one that is really gung-ho about the new language database.  The first night she signed on, she was in the office for a couple of hours with it.  Not content to just learn Spanish, she also went through the lessons on Japanese!  Pretty soon she'll be trilingual!

A new language is not just something that you do by yourself.  Language is meant to be expressive, and there is no better way to be expressive than with a partner.  My wife and I have buddied up to try to reinforce each other's learning in Mango.  It is a lot of fun to discover new languages together, so don't feel like it's just something that you sit in front of a computer screen and then put in the back of your mind.  Get out there and learn with a friend.

Plus, it's great for children.  Kids soak up what you teach them like a sponge, and what better way to bond with your child than by learning something together?  Take some lessons together, and then try out what you've learned with one another over the dinner table.  You and your kids will enjoy the excitement and challenge that goes with communicating in your new language.

Hasta pronto,
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment